Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Battle of the Badges

Last night we went to another Old timer game where 4 former NHLers were playing in a charity event. It turned out, our godson and her parents showed up and sat with us. After the first period, I said I would show the grade 3 godson and his friend how to get some autographs. I gave him a book and his friend a black ccm helmet. We all went down to ice level to wait. They ended up playing 2 periods straight. So the kids went back to the parents and my wife warmed up inside. I really wasn't worried about the game so we just went back to the gate at the 5 minute mark. At the buzzer, Dennis Polonich came over and my godson asked for an autograph, he is a great signer so he signed all out stuff. He grabbed Warren Skorodenski, a goalie in the early 80's. Our stuff got signed and we looked for Jack Valiquette, a 70's Maple Leaf, found him, not a problem and the 4 of us looked for Cliff Ronning. They said he was in another dressing room. We spent 10 minutes looking for this stupid room, we found in in the back of the stadium and it turned out to be a Montreal Canadiens replica dressing room from the 1970's. Cliff Ronning had switched jerseys so no one really recognized him. I looked and thought that looks like him, looked down at his pants and it had the Phoenix Coyotes logo on them. busted....Nice guy but did not offer we had to ask. My godson went over and we got our haul signed. I asked him if it was true that in game 7 of the 1995 finals against the New York Rangers, he had a broken hand. He said oh yah, I asked if it was bad and he replied, it still bothered him. So we walked back and i went and put all the stuff in my vehicle. I felt bad cause the godson was pumped and the other kid had nothing. I went to the table selling signed stuff told him to pick out a signed mini stick. He took a Bryan Trottier and was happy. At the end of the game I took him back to the dressing rooms and he got his stuff signed. I have no idea who this kid is but thought that was right to do for him. The parents were taken that I gave a book and bought a stick for the kids. I laughed and told my wife the truth and people, I never do this but the kids were the perfect approach to get my stuff signed. The helmet turned out great.
So the haul with pictures was this.
Vancouver Canucks jersey
Black CM helmet
Chicago Blackhawks Goalie mask-singed by all four nhlers.
Dennis Polonich signed 1980 OPC hockey card
Jack Villequtte signed 4x6 and Maple Leaf puck
Warren Skorondenski signed 8x10
Lanny Macdonald signed mini stick
Gary Peters signed puck
Cliff Ronning signed 8x10





No comments:

Post a Comment